MMI Clinical & Translational Research Scholars Programme
Beginning in 2011, science graduates are undertaking PhD studies in clinical and translational research as MMI Scholars in the MMI partner institutions UCC, UCD, NUI Galway and TCD.
Unique features of this 4-year structured PhD programme include the strong involvement of industry partners in governance, taught courses, placements and mentoring, the wide pool of over 90 academic prinicpal investigators offering lab placements and PhD projects, and the online coordination hub which enables students to select PhD components, track progress and access e-learning modules.
About the Programme
In July 2010, the successful Molecular Medicine Ireland bid, led by NUI Galway with partners Trinity College Dublin, University College Cork and University College Dublin, secured funding for a collaborative structured PhD programme under Cycle 5 of the Irish Government's Programme for Research in Third Level Institutions (PRTLI). The MMI Clinical & Translational Research Scholars Programme (CTRSP) is a unique cross-institutional programme which will develop graduates with knowledge and skills to pursue disease-focused research and bridge gaps between basic scientists, clinical scientists and industry.
The programme is guided by a Steering Committee with representation from each of the four partner universities, from industry and the Irish Medicines Board.
- Year 1 of the 4-year programme comprises core and optional graduate education modules delivered in Dublin, Cork and Galway. These modules provide a grounding in essential research skills and transferable skills together with access to specialist topics.
- Year 1 also features practical placements in industry, in academic research labs and in clinical research facilities.
- At the end of Year 1, Scholars select PhD projects in areas including drug discovery, discovery/validation of biomarkers and patient-oriented research in clinical research facilities. Over 90 Principal Investigators are participating in the programme.
- In Years 2 and 3, work on PhD research projects is supplemented with access to online education modules with a strong innovation and commercialisation focus. These include modules developed specifically for this programme with industry and the Irish Medicines Board.
- An online SkillsLog enables Scholars to record transferable skills acquired through all aspects of the PhD. These individual online records inform Scholar's meetings with their industry mentors throughout the PhD to assist career development.
- Annual Scientific Meetings provide a forum for scholars to interact with the wider research community and present their research.
- Principal Investigators, Research Interests and Facilities
- Education Modules
- Research Placements
- Scholars, PhD projects, and Supervisors
- Annual Scientific Meetings
Organisations involved in mentoring CTRSP Scholars and offering research placements
Twenty scholarships were awarded in the first call for the MMI CTRSP following a rigorous selection process. The appointed Scholars began the programme in October 2011. A second cohort of five MMI Scholars was recruited in October 2012.
The MMI Clinical & Translational Research Scholars Programme is funded under the Programme for Research in Third Level Institutions (PRTLI) Cycle 5, and co-funded under the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF).